Whether you’re looking for a student pay monthly contract or a sim-only deal, we show you how to save money on your student mobile phone purchase with the big UK providers today looking at their individual student discount schemes.
Below is a table with the latest student discounts for mobile phones and contracts in the UK for December 2023.
|Mobile Phone Provider||Student Discount||Provider|
|Apple Student Discount||10%||Direct with Apple|
|Carphone Warehouse Student Discount||£50||Student Beans|
|EE Student Discount||20%||Student Beans|
|O2 Student Discount||20%||Unidays or NUS Totum|
|Samsung Student Discount||Up to 30%||Unidays|
|Three Student Discount||20%||Direct|
|Vodafone Student Discount||10%||Direct|
Mobile Phone Student Discounts
Many mobile phone providers now offer a student discount code – everyone from Apple to Vodafone. They usually consist of either a percentage off your monthly contract or a fixed amount off your monthly phone contract.
Students should click on the relevant provider above and see if they specifically offer a student discount.
There may also be a student discount code available through Student Beans, Unidays or NUS Totum on a data plan.
Student Discount Mobiles – Deals to Save You More
But did you know that there are even more ways for students to save money on their phone outgoings (pay monthly and SIM deals) and that there are discounts on mobiles available (for example o2 deals)?
The first tip that we have is that if you are happy with your phone and it’s coming to the end of your current pay monthly contract then a SIM-only deal could save you a lot. It is now really easy to change phone providers and you get to keep your same number too.
When looking for a new SIM-only deal check your previous phone bills to see how many minutes and data you use. You can then Compare new SIM-only deals to see which suits your usage needs.
There are some cracking new SIM-only deals out there and they start from as little as £6 per month and some unlimited data deals for under £20 a month.
Saving on a monthly bill is key for any UK student. Make sure you check for upgrade options as soon as they are valid!
If you need a new phone first ask your current provider to see if they can upgrade you to a better pay monthly deal and a new phone that suits your needs and can help you save money. However, you might want to check that buying a separate phone and SIM-only deal might save you more. For instance, you might find the latest Apple phone on a handset-only deal and then a cheap SIM-only contract for your specific usage for £10 a month. This could be actually a lot less than your current monthly contract costs.
Get the latest mobile phones today!
Student Discount on Mobiles, Data Plans and Tablets
There’s no avoiding them, mobile and smart devices are an everyday must-have for everyone, and at university, they’re used for a lot more than just making calls and sending texts.
Your mobile may well be the most expensive thing you own and next to your laptop, it’s certainly going to be the most expensive thing you carry around all day so make sure you get a student discount. But there are ways of keeping costs down for both your mobile handset and data usage for students, you’ve just got to know how to do it. Who does know? The Student Discount Squirrel.
How Can A Mobile Phone Help You Save Money At Uni
Of course, you need a mobile for making calls and sending texts (to your uni mates, uni staff for admin purposes and your family back home), but there’s so much more you can do with a decent smartphone.
- Sync your university email inbox with the Mail app on your phone to ensure you can see important emails on-the-go and not just when you remember to log in!
- Set up a security ‘find my phone’ app to ensure you have GPS tracking on your devices; a necessity in case any of them go walkabout and you need to trace them.
- Install audiobooks apps and keep an eye out for discounted or free books that can help you study as you walk about and get other things done.
- Download apps for bars, restaurants or venues you’re planning on visiting. They often have app-exclusive money-off discounts that you won’t be able to access anywhere else.
- If you have a social media following of over 3,000+ on any one channel, sign up for an ad agency such as Tribe or Takumi. You’ll receive offers of paid posting for documenting your student life and the products you use along the way.
- Lots of universities use encrypted apps for essay and work submissions and feedback. If yours does, make sure you have the latest version downloaded so you can keep up-to-date with messages from lecturers or other uni staff.
- Use a tasklist app such as Todo or Trello to set yourself goals and to-do lists so you’re always on top of what you need to be.
- If your societies or clubs use Facebook or another social media channel to group, post notices and hold discussions, ensure you have the relevant app installed.
- Download a couple of group game apps such as Heads Up. Next time you go a party that’s not turning out to plan, you can at least attempt to liven things up a little.
How Student Discounts Work On Mobiles – The Latest Mobile Phones
Buying a mobile isn’t much like purchasing anything else, not least because you’re usually spending much more than you would on most other things you buy!
Student discount on mobiles don’t tend to work as standard discounts too, there’s not usually a fixed percentage off a price upon presentation of your student card.
Instead, there are several forms that mobile student discounts may take to save money:
- A set amount or set percentage reduced from the cost of the phone when buying it outright – the most popular student discount.
- A set amount or set percentage reduced from the cost of the ongoing monthly contract when signing up for a fixed term.
- A free phone rather than buying a fee for it when signing up to a fixed-term ongoing monthly contract.
- A free ‘add-on bundle’ when signing up to a fixed-term ongoing monthly contract, i.e. additional data usage, additional minutes, free data, tablet plans, mobile data boosts, wi fi deal, other promotion options at key times of the year and consumer credit options and even Apple music deals!
- A free unrelated subscription when signing up to a fixed-term ongoing monthly contract, i.e. free access to Disney Plus or free access to Netflix (be careful with these and always remember to cancel, or you will be charged when your free trial ends!).
- All providers are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority to give you protection and for peace of mind.
- Check out our student discounts for tech for similar retailers too.
When shopping around for deals, it’s important to work out exactly what the student discount or add-on you’re received is worth, both in monetary terms and in value to you.
To Go Pay As You Go, Or Contract?
A Pay As You Go phone relies on the ‘topping up’ of minutes, texts and data through cash input whenever you need it; a pre-paid option that allows you to control exactly what you spend.
A pay monthly contract phone (monthly price) is a contracted monthly agreement with a mobile service provider for a set ongoing monthly amount of calls, texts and data. All of the big mobile companies we feature here – o2 student discount, Vodafone student discount, EE student discount, Three student discount and Carphone Warehouse student discount, all do. This way means you avoid bundle charges.
Contracted mobile agreements on Vodafone are available to those aged 18 and over, so realistically may not have been an option for you previously. However, they typically do represent better value and ways to save money on an ongoing basis and ensure that you always have minutes, texts and data to use; as well as absorbing the cost of the phone handset itself into the ongoing contract cost. If it a contract and you legally need to pay it on time. Not doing so can affect your credit rating negatively and may result in legal consequences.
Emergency calls bypass all payment systems and can be made even when you have no credit or signal, so you don’t need to factor safety like this into your purchase decision.
Do Students Need Mobile Insurance?
Mobiles are one of the most expensive things you’ll carry around with you, and probably the most expensive thing. Most retailers offer mobile handset insurance for a fixed cost each month, but before you invest, be sure of the following:
- What limitations are there on claiming? It’s sensible to have robust liquid damage and accidental damage policy and many insurers don’t cover these instances happening in licensed premises, no matter how it happened.
- Is there a hefty excess to pay when claiming? It needs to be affordable.
- Are you already covered? Some bank accounts cover mobiles as standard, so ask yours if you’re unsure.
- What’s the replacement turnaround? It’s important that you’re contactable even while waiting for a new handset.
- Does your policy cover you for loss as well as theft?
Make sure your mobile purchase is an informed one. Cover all bases, research well and make the right decision for you.
Summary of Student Mobiles
A mobile is a necessity now more than ever before.
They can however be expensive so make sure that you find a model that works for you. There are so many to search from top providers. Follow our links and check out the best deals out there.
There are always some amazing deals to be had!